This video reenacts common symptoms and practices of someone suffering from anorexia nervosa. Please note, this video contains only general information for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace physician advice and diagnosis. If you are unsure if you have an eating disorder or have mental health concerns, please consult a health care professional to seek treatment. If you are having an emergency, please call 911.
1. Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 http://www.kidshelpphone.ca
2. National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC): 1-866-633-4220 http://www.nedic.ca.
3. Ontario Community Outreach Program for Eating Disorders: http://www.ocoped.ca
4. Bulimia Anorexia Nervosa Association (BANA) (Southwest Ontario): http://www.bana.ca
5. Hopewell – Eating Disorder Support Centre (Eastern Ontario): 613-241-3428 http://www.hopewell.ca
6. Maudsley Parents: http://www.maudsleyparents.org
7. MentalHealth4Kids: http://www.mentalhealth4kids.ca/ListServices.aspx?cid1=10811
This video was made by McMaster students Ghofran Al-Adimi, Alyssa Adamo and Sharon Chernyak in collaboration with the McMaster Demystifying Medicine Program.
Copyright McMaster University 2020.
Subscribe to the McMaster Demystifying Medicine YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DemystifyingMedicine
This video is provided for general and educational information only. Please consult your health care provider for Information about your health.
Davis, C., & Kaptein, S. (2006). Anorexia nervosa with excessive exercise: A phenotype with close links to obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry Research, 142(2–3), 209–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2005.11.006
Holtkamp, K., Hebebrand, J., & Herpertz-Dahlmann, B. (2004). The contribution of anxiety and food restriction on physical activity levels in acute anorexia nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 36(2), 163–171. https://doi.org/10.1002/eat.20035
Ioakimidis, I., Zandian, M., Ulbl, F., Bergh, C., Leon, M., & Södersten, P. (2011). How eating affects mood. Physiology and Behavior, 103(3–4), 290–294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2011.01.025
Coniglio, K. A., Becker, K. R., Franko, D. L., Zayas, L. V., Plessow, F., Eddy, K. T., & Thomas, J. J. (2017). Won’t stop or can’t stop? Food restriction as a habitual behavior among individuals with anorexia nervosa or atypical anorexia nervosa. Eating Behaviors, 26, 144–147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eatbeh.2017.03.005
Nutritional factors and hair loss – Rushton – 2002 – Clinical and Experimental Dermatology – Wiley Online Library.pdf. (n.d.).
View original video source